Verified by Visa
ESDlife Services Hong Kong – case study
ESDlife is an award-winning bilingual portal that has pioneered the provision of public and commercial services in Hong Kong. Developed and operated by ESD Services, a joint venture between Hutchison Whampoa and Hewlett-Packard, ESDlife was appointed to implement the Hong Kong Government’s Electronic Service Delivery Scheme in November 1999.
Participation in Verified by Visa
As the website that provides Electronic Service Delivery for the Hong Kong Government, it is essential that ESDlife delivers the most secured and convenient online payment environment for users. In August 2003, ESDlife became the first website in Hong Kong to implement Verified by Visa. ESDlife was launched in January 2001:
- Offers more than 190 public services
- Represents over 50 government departments and public agencies
ESDlife services include:
- Appointment booking for the issuing of smart identity cards
- Booking of sports facilities
- Marriage registration
- Filing of tax returns
Benefits of Verified by Visa
The number of people using ESDlife services online for government transactions has risen rapidly, in line with the level of Internet penetration among Hong Kong households.
ESDlife has built a secure online payment platform and implemented strict measures to avoid fraudulent payment. With the extra protection provided by Verified by Visa, ESDlife has maintained a record of zero fraud cases on transactions using Verified by Visa payment.
“We are pleased to be the first merchant site in Hong Kong to offer the Verified by Visa service. Our partnership with Visa represents another step forward in providing users with a secure, yet simple environment to make payments online, thereby promoting the growth of e-commerce in Hong Kong.”
ESD Services Chief Operating Officer
Greater security for cardholders
According to a survey conducted by ESDlife in April 2004, security is the most important factor for consumers in Hong Kong when deciding where to shop online.
The survey found that:
- Visa is the preferred online payment method for 67 percent of respondents
- Awareness of Verified by Visa continues to increase with 66 percent of respondents having heard of the service
- Among those who had heard of Verified by Visa, over 70 percent were willing to register for the service
Marketing and promoting Verified by Visa
ESDlife has been regularly promoting Verified by Visa to its customers since first implementing Verified by Visa.
Ongoing marketing and communication activities include:
- Prominent placement of the Verified by Visa Mark throughout the ESDlife website
- An educational Verified by Visa mini-site explaining how
- Verified by Visa works and its benefits
- Monthly “Go to Visa Specials” promotional campaigns with grand prizes are used to drive usage of Verified by Visa and Visa preference. Prizes include air tickets, mobile phones, digital cameras, electrical appliances and cash coupons
- First time users of Verified by Visa are entitled to extra gifts to encourage them to use the service
- Regular emails have been sent to communicate the promotional programs to over 200,000 ESDlife members